Sunday, November 11, 2012

Begin Event at Northwest Museum of Art and Culture

It was the first snow of the season. An icy snowy crust covered my car from head to toe, making it almost impossible to see out the front window. Of course my car lacks snow tires and I as I drove out of Whitworth, I wondered if I was insane. It was a dark, icy and paranoia filled drive. However, I arrived again at the Northwestern Art Museum without incident and managed to only slip once before reaching the front door. Tonight was the museum’s monthly “Begin” art gathering and I had no idea what to expect. As I entered, the building with my large dark hood pulled tightly over my head, the atmosphere suddenly changed. There were hundreds of people all dressed in fancy dresses and their finest clothing. There was a fully equipped bar and a DJ playing soft “artistic” music. People were grouped, in small intimate circles speaking in soft conversational tones, most likely discussing artistic techniques well beyond my level of experience. The greeting lady gave me a sort of confused stare, and I quickly took off my black hood and gave her my best “I’m a polite, and well educated student” smile. It worked and she visibly relaxed and asked me if I would be drinking tonight. I politely declined and slowly meandered into the sea of art folk. I then went downstairs to check out the new galleries they had put in. The gallery I visited this time was called Two to Tango (Artist and Viewer) and it featured some very abstract pieces of art. The emphasis of the gallery was interaction, so all of the art pieces were out in the open and unprotected by glass boxes. One particular metal sculpture even encouraged viewers to touch the material. There were several art pieces there that caught my attention, but one in particular really stood out, it was called “Life While You Wait” by Maxine Martell, it was acrylic on canvas, made in the year 2000, and featured 2 people eating at a table. However, what I noticed about this painting was the contrast between the people on the busy life that was going on behind them. The people eating were colored vibrantly, while the background was drab and almost depressing. To me this painting was about the importance of personal relationships and interaction versus the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The artist I feel was emphasizing, by the color contrast, the life and fulfillment attained by enjoying a meal with company compared to the empty and drab feelings of the hustle and bustle of daily life. Overall, I believe the artist was trying to tell her audience to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life such as eating with company. Maxine Martell, was born in Oklahoma, but eventually moved to Seattle, Washington where she currently resides. She paints things she’s seen from everyday life and called he paintings “visual poems”. Overall, the Begin event I believe is a successful contributor to the community. It encourages conversation amongst the community and serves as a great opportunity for community social interaction. I encourage anyone who is free on a Friday night to attend the event and experience what I did. Now for the final question, what “little things” in life do you appreciate or should appreciate?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this post I could not help but to think about how cool the concept of touching an art piece is. Most people who attend art exhibits are there because they want to SEE the beauty of the art rather than FEEL the beauty of the art. There is a lot more of a personal connection to the art piece when the viewer has the opportunity to touch the piece. It makes the viewer feel as though they are an artist as well.

    I also think that at an event like this it is even cooler of a concept. There are people dressed in their finest, with their observation skills tweaked to perfection for a night of small talk and observation of masterpieces, only to get there and find out that they are going to be interacting as well.

    When a viewer gets the opportunity to touch an art piece there is a lot that happens within the person, so much that i think the touching of the piece could be the art itself. Imagine it like a spaceship. Once your fingers finally have touchdown on the smooth, cold surface of a metal masterpiece your mind takes off. All of the sudden you truly connect with the artist, you can feel the small imperfections within the piece, you can then accept this as a true work of beauty because you know the time and dedication the artist had when finally getting the desired shape.

    Interactive art is unique because it allows for the art piece to feel more like an everyday object. If you look at art like that you then begin to realize that there is so much art all around you, everything you touch and feel becomes art and you see so much beauty around you.

    ReplyDelete